Objectives of the Just Ask Workshop
At the end of the workshop you will:
Be aware of the realities of persons with various types of disabilities (visual, hearing, physical, psychiatric (mental illness), intellectual, learning disabilities, etc.) It is important to be aware that some people have more than one disability – this is considered intersectionality, especially if other factors exist such as race, poverty, etc.;
Understand the importance of providing top quality customer service to ALL your clients;
All EMPOWWORD Inc. learning workshops are hands-on; use plain language; provide plenty of opportunities to practice and experience different learning tools; use a variety of teaching modes; and incorporate fun (as we believe fun increases one’s capacity to learn). A comprehensive Participant’s Manual will be provided for every trainee. It will prove an invaluable resource once the participants are back in the “real world’ and dealing with disability and human issues.
Please note that this information is not meant to be a diagnostic tool on disabilities. The Manual provides specific information on how to provide effective client service for customers with a variety of disabilities while pointing out how to treat each other well. This training, the manual and any suggestions are a starting point from which to develop the understanding and skills to better serve all your customers.
It is important to remember that persons with a disability are like any other customer and deserve the same kind of respect, dignity and service. While they may need special arrangements to accommodate their disability, the key is to think of the individual person first. The fact that they have a disability is incidental.
- We will endeavour to make this a safe learning environment for all participants.
- We will listen and observe to ensure we are reflecting your learning goals.
- We will use real-life examples and our own experience to help you learn how to ensure an inclusive environment
- We will observe the Confidentiality Rule. No one will reveal private information given by anyone outside of the workshop.
- We will encourage and welcome the expression of all views. Each person has a right to have their opinion heard and responded to, respectfully.
- We will urge you to speak up for your interests as each day proceeds. Our workshops are your learning opportunity, so please don’t wait until the end to write your concerns in the evaluation.
- We will do our best to avoid jargon.
- We and you will have some fun.
Assumptions to Just Ask
One’s abilities and disabilities have a powerful impact on people and organizations throughout society.
People with disabilities as well as people of various races, cultures, religions, etc. experience individual as well as systemic discrimination, barriers and exclusion from larger society.
Services that are sensitive to diversity, accessibility and inclusion as well as an environment that welcomes diversity tend to lead to a respectful, positive living and working environment for everyone. This type of learning workshop can improve the service delivery to ALL customers as well as the job satisfaction.